Film Archive 1 - Chełmska
Brief description of the film collection stored in the archive:
- over 100 editions of the PAT (Polish Telegraphic Agency) newsreels from the 1920s and 1930s.
- archival footage of the interwar period
- archival footage from the Second World War (including numerous materials on the activities of Polish soldiers on the frontlines)
- film documentation of the key events from all aspects of life in Poland after 1944
- documentaries produced in the Documentary and Feature Film Studio
- complete editions of the Polish Film Chronicle from 1945-1994 and thousands of film recordings shot by its operators
- outstanding, award-winning documentaries directed by, among others, Jerzy Bossak, Andrzej Munk, Jerzy Hoffman, Tadeusz Makarczyński, Ludwik Perski, Władysław Ślesicki, Krzysztof Kieślowski, Kazimierz Karabasz, Marcel Łoziński, Irena Kamieńska and Marek Piwowski
- releasing and receiving film footage
- delivering materials to the Film Conservation Team
- conserving flammable nitrate films
- servicing the Betacam SP, Digital and HD cassettes collection
The archive comprises a store for flammable nitrate films (11 991 boxes) and a five-storey (34 000 m2) store of safety films (263 658 boxes), which has been housed since 1947 in the former production archive of the Documentary and Feature Film Studios and the archive of the Polish Film Chronicle. For many years the external deposits of Polish film producers were also located there.
The collection of stored films is presented in the publicly-available card catalogue. The materials are made available by the Customer Service Team on previewing equipment – both analogue and digital.